If you are from Film Making and Video Production background or decided to start a career on Video Production then you definitely need Video Editing Software. There are loots of Software available but all are not free. here I will tell you about 5 Best FREE Video Editing Software for Windows & macOS and those are totally free you don’t have to pay any amount and it’s not trial software.
1- Openshot (for all 3 platforms)
OpenShot Video Editor is a free and open-source video editor for FreeBSD, Linux, HaikuOS, macOS, and Windows. Edit Video, Drag and drop video, audio, or images from your file manager into OpenShot. It’s easy to get started video editing.
The Openshot software comes with many features like-
• Trim & Slice
• Animation & Keyframes
• Video Effects
• Unlimited Tracks
• Title Editor
• Audio Waveforms
• 3D Animations
• Slow Motion & Time Effects
Download Openshot from here – Openshot
2- Photos App (only for windows)
(Don't' use Windows Movie Maker)
Windows Movie Maker, part of Windows Essentials 2012, is no longer available for download. Websites that offer free downloads of Movie Maker are not offering the real thing, and those downloads may contain malware, viruses, or hidden costs.
Instead, try making movies with the Photos app (Same as Movie Maker) that comes with Windows 10. The latest version of the Photos app includes the ability to create and edit videos with music, text, motion, filters, and 3D effects. Visit the Microsoft Store for more video creation and editing apps.
3- Hitfilm Express (Windows and Mac) –
Hitfilm Express is a Free video editing software with VFX and all the power you need to make something awesome. Take your first step towards becoming a pro filmmaker with HitFilm Express. Perfect for beginners, film students, gamers, YouTubers, or those working on a budget.
HitFilm Express provides a range of powerful non-linear editing tools ensuring you have the right tools for the job.
- Animation tools: A large number of advanced animation tools are now available within both editor timelines. This huge update allows you to create and edit audio and video transitions without the need to create composite shots.
- Composite shot enhancements: There is a vast number of animation tools, more than ever before, at your disposal in composite shots. For example, you can now animate two shots at once by using the control panel graph and the timeline graph. If you’re working on a complicated composite shot, you can work on a scene at the top and bottom of the shot simultaneously.
- Audio Hard Limiter: Professional audio editing functionality allows you to normalise your audio without any need for external software. Make all the adjustments you need inside HitFilm to create a pitch perfect performance.
- Unlimited tracks: HitFilm allows you to add unlimited video and audio tracks to your timeline. You shouldn’t be limited by your software.
- Multiple streams: Gamers rejoice! HitFilm allows you to import files with multiple streams of audio, giving you full flexibility over your workflow.
- Picture in Picture: Picture in Picture (or PiP) is a highly common video style in online content. HitFilm now provides a quick solution for this with the Picture in Picture effect, allowing you to position one clip inside another with different scales and position relative to the layer.
- Adaptive Trimmer: You now have the power to re-trim your clips after adding them to the timeline. Double-clicking a clip sends it to the trimmer panel, ready for you to make the adjustments you need. Once the necessary changes have been made the clip on the timeline will be automatically updated.
- Behaviors: Behavior Effects have now been added with a whole array of possibilities. Rotate By Layer allows one layer to rotate by a specified multiplier of another layer’s rotation. Creating animated timepieces or orbiting planets has never been so simple. This is just the start of the capabilities of the new Behavior Effects.
- Vertical video: Uploading vertical video shouldn’t be punishing – HitFilm now provides support for vertical videos, creating a blurred version of the original video to use as a background so the video can seamlessly fit alternative aspect ratios.
- Compositing and layering: Add new dimensions to your filmmaking by bringing together 3D layers, models and particle simulations in the same space. Create stunning user interfaces by layering 2D graphics directly inside a 3D model.
- 3D camera projection: Take an ordinary 2D photo and convert it to a projected, photoreal 3D scene complete with camera movement.
- Attributes: HitFilm now offers the ability to copy a group of attributes from one clip and apply them directly to another, or your whole project. Forgot to grade your first 10 clips? Now you can grade one and easily apply the same grade to the rest.
- Audio mixer: The audio mixer allows you to fine-tune your sound for professional-quality output. Easily modify, balance and mix tracks – or get precise control over individual elements with mute and solo features.
- Transitions: Make a smooth segue or eye-popping transition between shots with one of HitFilm Express’s dissolve, push, slide, split, wide, zoom, fade or iris transition features. You can even build your own transition type within a composite shot or the editor timeline.
- Dedicated trimmer: Get your rough cut looking sharp with HitFilm Express’s dedicated editing trimmer – complete with insert and overlay functionality. Cut it even quicker with customizable keyboard shortcuts to set the ‘in’ and ‘out’ points in the trimmer.
- Masking within the editor: Embrace a better workflow – masks can now be created and adjusted on the Editor timeline, without a composite shot being required.
Download HitFilm Express From here.
4- iMovie (only for Mac )
With iMovie for iOS and macOS, you can enjoy your videos like never before. It’s easy to browse your clips and create Hollywood-style trailers and stunning 4K-resolution movies. You can even start editing on iPhone or iPad, then finish on your Mac.
Whether you’re using a Mac or an iOS device, it’s never been easier to make it in the movies. Just choose your clips, then add titles, music and effects. iMovie even supports 4K video for stunning cinema-quality films. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a wrap.
Select from dozens of styles to add beautifully animated titles and credits to your movies.
Choose from 10 creative video filters that add a cinematic touch. Give your film a nostalgic monochrome style, a vintage western appearance or a futuristic cool blue look. It’s simple to apply filters to individual clips or your entire movie at once.
Make action shots more exciting by changing their speed.* Add a broadcast feel to your school report with picture-in-picture and split-screen effects. Or place your characters in exotic locations using green-screen effects in iMovie for macOS.
Built-in music, sound effects and voiceover recording make it easy to create a movie that sounds as good as it looks.
iMovie delivers a tour de force on iPad Pro. Work with multiple 4K video clips. Create effects like picture-in-picture or split screen and play them back instantly. Use keyboard shortcuts to speed up your editing performance. And with the USB-C port on the new iPad Pro, you can connect to an external display to show others your latest cut in 4K while you continue editing.
iMovie is easy to use, and it’s free. Just click to download and install on your Mac or iOS device.
You may also love to read – Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 using the Media Creation Tool
5- Shortcut (for all platform)
Shotcut is a free, open-source, cross-platform video editor.
• Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
• Easy-to-use cut, copy, and paste operations
• Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
• 3-point editing
• Hide, mute, and lock track controls
• Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
• Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
• Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
• Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
• Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
• Drag-n-drop files from file manager
• Scrubbing and transport control
• Keyframes for filter parameters
• Detach audio from video clip
• Presets for most filters and Export – both supplied and user-created
• Sort playlist by name or creation/recording date
• Multi-select items in the playlist and timeline
• Video compositing across video tracks
• HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
• 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
• Eyedropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
• Fade in/out the audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
• Video wipe transitions:
bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
• Track compositing/blending modes:
None, Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
• Video Filters:
Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Audio Dance Visualization, Audio Light Visualization, Audio Spectrum Visualization, Audio Waveform Visualization, Blend Mode, Blur: Box, Blur: Exponential, Blur: Gaussian, Blur: Low Pass, Brightness, Choppy, Chroma Hold, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop: Source, Crop: Circle, Crop: Rectangle, Distort, Dither, Elastic Scale, Flip, Glitch, Glow, Grid, Halftone, Hue/Lightness/Saturation, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Lens Correction, Levels, 3D LUT, Mask: Apply, Mask: From File, Mask: Simple Shape, Mirror, Mosaic, Nervous, No Sync, Noise: Fast, Noise: Keyframes, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Posterize, Reduce Noise: HQ3DN, Reduce Noise: Smart Blur, RGB Shift, Rotate and Scale, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Sketch, Spot Remover, Stabilize, Swirl, Text: 3D, Text: Simple, Text: HTML, Threshold, Timer, Trails, Vertigo, Vignette, Unpremultiply Alpha, Wave, White Balance
• Speed effect for audio/video clips
• Reverse a clip
• Video scopes: Waveform and Histogram
• Title Templates for the Text: HTML filter
• Audio scopes: loudness, peak meter, waveform, spectrum analyzer
• Volume control
• Audio filters:
Balance, Bass & Treble, Band Pass, Compressor, Copy Channel, Delay, Downmix, Expander, Gain, High Pass, Limiter, Low Pass, Normalize: One Pass, Normalize: Two Pass, Notch, Pan, Reverb, Swap Channels
• Audio mixing across all tracks
• Fade in and out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
• Cross-fade audio and video dissolve transitions easily by overlapping shots on the same track of the timeline
• JACK transport sync
• Tone generator
• Stereo, mono, and 5.1 surround
Wide Format Support
• Support for the latest audio and video formats thanks to FFmpeg
• Supports popular image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF, WebP as well as image sequences
• No import required – native timeline editing
• Frame-accurate seeking for many formats
• Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame-rates within a project
• Webcam capture
• Audio capture
• Support for 4K resolutions
• Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
• Frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma)
• Color, text, noise, and counter generators
• EDL (CMX3600 Edit Decision List) export
• Export single frame as image or video as an image sequence
• Videos files with alpha channel – both reading and writing
Shortcut is the Best Software for Video Editing –
Download Shortcut here
Hardware Requirement for all Software-
Here are your basic specs to look for when buying a computer for video editing:
Memory/RAM: 4 GB RAM or as much as you can afford (ideally at least 8 GB)
Processor: Multi-core Intel i3 Processor. Preferably 4 Core or more processor.
Storage: At least 256 GB SSD for OS Installation, 1TB 7200 RPM.
Graphics card: Depends on video editing software. But for all these software you will need at least 2GB memory GPU.)
If you have any Questions or dought Comment below I will help you.